6 “Must Haves” In Today’s Swimming Pool
With technological advances, today’s society is become more efficient, productive, and connected. So, why shouldn’t your swimming pool have the same? “Over the past 5 years, we’ve seen some incredible advances in the swimming pool market – both in the aspect of day to day operation and maintenance, to integrating our pools into home automation, iPhones, and more,” claims Chris Griffin, (owner of Unique Landscapes & Custom Pools) “Our clients are now wanting their pools to be as current as their smartphones, and we have many solutions to take our swimming pools & spa into today’s day & age or technology”. Here are the top 5 items to include in any new pool, spa, or remodel.
1) Variable Speed Pump “Pentair Intelliflo VS” – Going GREEN has never been cooler, and the introduction of the variable speed pool pump over a half decade ago makes this feature the #1 “must-have” for any swimming pool. Whether building a new pool, or even improving your existing pools features, the Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump has been proven to actually pay for itself (in energy savings) in as little as 18 months. Imagine having a pump that you can program to run at ANY speed imaginable? Some current uses for this feature are:
- WATERFEATURES – Controlling the perfect flow for a waterfeature. This allows the owner to have a gentle waterfall or something more aggressive if that effect is desired.
- SPA JETS – Consider the therapeautic effects of being able to control the massaging ability of your jets (Low, Medium & High) All with the touch of a button, using the same pump!
- FILTRATION & CLEANING – The true value comes in when running this pump for pool filtration. This can be done at such a low speed, you can barely hear the pump! Secondly, it’s filtering at a fraction of the cost as a conventional 1HP or 2HP pool filter pump (since we can control the speed & flow of the pump/water).
- 24 HOUR SKIMMER! – One of Unique’s special features in our premium pool package is the ability to skim your pool , 24 hours a day, using around 200 watts of power. Yes, that’s about the same energy consumption as 3 light bulbs, and we build our feature pools with this feature, using the technology in this pump. Imagine that, a pool that cleans itself , ALL THE TIME! Ask your Unique Pool Designer for details, as this is a feature that only UNIQUE has perfected!
2) Infloor Cleaning System – Having a clean pool has never been easier when using Paramount’s PV3 cleaning system. When installed properly, Paramount offers a 99% cleaning guarantee (or your money back!) The only way to clean every aspect of your pool, daily, is one of these! Unique has been a leader in the pool industry with our perfection of the infloor cleaning system, and Paramount makes it easy for us to put the guarantees behind every system we install. “We find that cleaning systems have gotten a bad name, and you will find many of our competitors that try to talk clients out of these systems for some reason or another”, says Chris Griffin (Unique’s Owner) “I have to chuckle a bit, since I truly believe that one would be making a mistake by NOT building a pool that cleans itself! Think of it, a clean pool, all the time, without any vacuums and hoses (which don’t clean the steps & benches in a pool)” Did you know? Unique installs a cleaning system in almost 90% of every pool we build!
3) Salt Chlorinators/Ozone/pH Management – Many readers have heard of a salt pool, but the truth is that salt pools generate their own chlorine, and ozone sanitizers allow for pools to use less chlorine. How great is that? The problem, however, with salt pools is their natural tendency to raise the pH level of our pools – this requires pool owners to constantly add acid to their water to offset this pH increase. “Maintaining a pool’s pH is one of the most important factors in water chemistry”, remarks Mr. Griffin, “This is usually a large contributor to the scale problems in many pools, as well as many other issues.
We teach our clients to understand water chemistry, but it’s really a lot of work to add acid daily (which is ideal for a salt pool” . With this issue, Pentair has an incredible system that dispenses acid, based on the amount of chlorine produced by the salt cell. “It’s a great system, and priced reasonably for the value it offers to our clients”, talks Griffin. “This system can be added to new or existing pools, and personally I wouldn’t want a pool without these three features – IntelliChlor, Clear O3 & IntellipH”. Did you know? Salt water can be damaging to many natural stone surfaces, from flagstone & cantera stone, to many types of travertine pavers. It’s always an excellent idea to protect your patio with a salt-water resistant sealer.”
4) iPHONE APP – Remote controls are a thing of the past, with Pentair’s Screenlogic 2! Turn any iphone, ipad, or desktop computer into instant access to your pools features! Imagine finishing a hard day at the office, and the dreaded 45 minute drive home. The iPhone comes out, but not to make a call home, since no one is there. Our Pentair APP comes up, and SPA is pressed. As you are driving home, your spa water is heating up to a toasty 102 degrees, just in time for you to hope in when you arrive home! How cool is that? This technology is incredible, and gives our clients instant access from anywhere with internet, smartphone, or desktop computer. “It’s just an easy to use, easy to program, and easy to understand system”, boasts Griffin, owner of Unique Landscapes & Custom Pools.
5) IntelliCHEM by Pentair – It’s HERE! A smart pool that actually knows when, and how much chemicals to add to make it ideal! Now your pool can actually take care of itself with Pentair’s IntelliCHEM system. This system actually makes water chemistry easy by testing and dispensing chlorine & acid – keeping up with the daily demand! Griffin ads “This is the best system for any pool owner that wants to take the extra step, and create the pool that takes care of itself.” The IntelliChem doesn’t totally replace the need for supervision to a pool, as it’s still a mechanical system, but it drastically reduces the daily & weekly upkeep!
6) BULLFROG JETPAKS – Now this is cool… There is always the difficult decision with our pool buyers between the traditional “hot tub” and the more therapeutic “Jacuzzi”. A “hot tub”, which is just a body of water that gets hot, and may have 5 to 6 jets, is easily integrated with the swimming pool, and looks nice. It’s easy to maintain as well, since it’s part of the pool. Hot tubs are not great for therapy, but something easy to soak in… Now, for those that need the “therapy” action of a Jacuzzi spa, then that is the way to go. Jacuzzi spas can have as many as 100 jets, bubbles, and other features. With the invention of the Bullfrog JetPAK, one can have the convenience of the hot tub, with the therapeutic action of a Jacuzzi spa! Something that every spa owner should have! Did you know? Jetpaks are usually installed in pairs, and come in many different colors & configurations. They are VERY difficult to add to existing spas, and more suited for the new build.