Artificial turf or synthetic grass gives you the beautiful, low-maintenance lawn of your dreams. Lush and lifelike, the synthetic surface utilizes a soft polyethylene UV protected synthetic fiber to produce a realistic “fresh cut” appearance combined with a soft, pleasing feel.
Since the early 1990s, the use of synthetic grass in Arizona has moved rapidly beyond athletic fields to residential and commercial landscaping. This trend has been driven by the dramatic improvement in the quality and variety of available synthetic grasses, the reduced cost of maintenance and care compared to natural grass, and the realization that artificial lawns can be a significant water conservation measure in Phoenix, AZ.
• Artificial turf can be a better solution especial in the dry heat in Arizona.
• Artificial turf can withstand significantly more use than natural grass and can therefore be used much more frequently.
• Ideal for vacation homes when maintenance of lawns is not practical. It is also a solution for elderly home-owners who find the upkeep of lawns too much hard work. Artificial turf can be vacuumed, broom cleaned or hosed over.
• Suitable for roof gardens and swimming pool surrounds.
• Some artificial turf requires infill such as silicon sand and/or granulated rubber. Some granulated rubber is made from recycled car tires and may carry heavy metals which can leach into the water table. (Unique uses alternative sources of infill may provide a safer solution).
• There is some evidence that periodic disinfection of artificial turf is required as pathogens are not broken down by natural processes in the same manner as natural grass. Despite this, a 2006 study suggests certain microbial life is less active in artificial turf.
• Friction between skin and older generations of artificial turf can cause abrasions and/or burns to a much greater extent than natural grass. This is an issue for some sports: for example, football in which sliding maneuvers are common and clothing does not fully cover the limbs. However, some third-generation artificial grasses almost completely eliminate this risk by the use of polyethylene yarn.
• Artificial turf tends to retain heat from the sun and can be much hotter than natural grass with prolonged exposure to the sun. This can be reduced by the application of water prior to use.