How to Care for Flagstone
Flagstone is a sedimentary rock, which simply means that it is composed of many different layers. Since it is a layered natural rock, the stone needs protection from the natural elements to prevent “pealing,” or any other deterioration of the surface-layers. Below are tips on how to take care of your flagstone patio
1. Flagstone needs to be sealed to protect the stone from staining. Sealing also brings out the natural beauty of the stone. Sealers can range from natural to a high gloss. The sealer fills pores making it easier to clean and helps protect the stone from staining. Flagstone can fade naturally over time due to light efflorescence. The use of a sealer will help to prevent this. It’s still outside, so you shouldn’t expect it to be a 100% protection, but it helps.
2. Wipe up spills immediately, since flagstone is porous and can absorb liquids and stain.
3. Place a floor mat at all doors, this will help keep dirt off the flagstone.
4. Clean with a light acid rinse & scrub – this is done with a 5:1 water:acid solution that actually removes the top layer of stone to expose the new layers underneath. Must be done with caution, as too much acid on the stone for too long is really bad.
5. NEVER POWER WASH pavers or stone, and if you do want to try, use a FAN tip, and keep it as far from stone as possible. The closer you get, you could ETCH the stone.