PAVER PATIOS, TRAVERTINE PAVERS & FLAGSTONE PATIOS
One of the largest investments most homeowner’s make in their outdoor living space is the addition of patio square footage. There are many different materials to choose from and many of these materials are made locally for shipment throughout the country. The newest trend in Arizona patios is certainly the use of travertine pavers. Other popular surfaces to consider are natural flagstone and concrete. The UNIQUE design team can provide expert advice and design ideas while the UNIQUE installation team uses their years of experience and expertise to achieve a perfect installation of any surface that you choose for your patio.
Concrete is by far the most basic and common material used for patios in Arizona. This is the standard surface installed by many builders. Pavers are another very common patio surface but they can have a few drawbacks and the biggest of which is the fact that pavers get very hot in the Phoenix climate. If you have always loved the look of pavers but would like a cooler surface then you will want to explore the option of travertine pavers. This surface not only provides the interest and color variation of standard pavers but it is also much cooler. This is one of the biggest reasons for the popularity of this relatively new innovation. If you are searching for that perfect combination of upscale look, durability and function, look no further than the travertine paver selection offered by UNIQUE
THE BASICS: Concrete and paver patios have become the standard fare for the average outdoor living space in Phoenix. The cost of pavers is at an all-time low which makes that surface a very popular choice. When installed using the proper method, pavers do not shift, settle or crack. This makes pavers a good long term choice for a basic patio plan. But you will want to be certain that your contractor understands the correct methods of paver installation. Check out one of the largest paver suppliers / dealers on their installation methods
UPGRADES: Because patio space is such an important facet of the Arizona outdoor lifestyle, most homeowners want to be sure that their patio and outdoor living spaces are as UNIQUE and spectacularly designed as the inside of their home. Flagstone and Travertine are great choices to add that custom stone impact to your patio and landscape. There are a wide variety of colors to choose from and natural stone is the perfect complement to stained concrete. Combining these two surfaces will take your outdoor living space to the next level.
THE PREMIUM PLAN: There are many additions and features that can transform your landscape and patio design from a very nice design to one that is completely custom and stunning. Including decorative curves and custom mosaics to your patio will add a level of interest and detail which will set it apart from any other patio ever built. Precision cut Arizona flagstone is also a great selection for a premium patio project. Large Versailles pattern Travertine pavers will create one of the most elegant patios surfaces and will provide breath taking impact for your outdoor living space. Cantera Stone patios add an old world charm, but that also comes at a premium price point. Regardless of the material, you should be prepared to properly maintain your patio surface to ensure a lifetime of enjoyment and beauty. UNIQUE recommends a professional grade sealant to protect your investment in your outdoor living space and particularly your patio.
TRAVERTINE PAVER PATIO In Phoenix, Travertine can be as cool as “cool deck” if the color is light enough. The drawback is that this surface can be slippery when installed around a swimming pool or other wet areas. When selecting a pattern remember that larger patterns look better in larger areas and smaller patterns offer a solution for more confined areas such as courtyards and smaller spaces
- PAVER PATIOResearch all of the pros and cons of pavers as well as all of the color options prior to making your selection. Dare to be different and choose a color that your neighbors haven’t seen if that is the color that speaks to you. UNIQUE’S favorite paver patio colors are TOSCANA BLEND – Belgard Pavers and CANYON BLEND – Pavestone Pavers. Don’t let your landscaper talk you into a standard color selection if that is not what you want. Your only limiting factor on color should be the guidelines from your home owners association.
- FLAGSTONE PATIOFlagstone precision cut patios are some of the most gorgeous patios projects that you will finds in Arizona. Local flagstone contains some lighter colors which add to the natural beauty of the stone. The darker colors tend to be denser and are more difficult to cut. This makes the installation process more challenging and more costly. You will also want to be certain that you have not selected a color which is prone to flaking. If your selection is more likely to flake then you will want to make a new selection or understand that regular sealing of the surface is a must to reduce the flaking and degradation of the stone. A flagstone patio is a large investment in your outdoor living space. Be certain that you understand the characteristics of this natural stone and that you are prepared to commit to the regular maintenance which is required to keep your flagstone patio looking great.
QUALITY DESIGN & CONSTRUCTION
UNIQUE takes pride in the quality installation and the high standards we have for all of our Arizona patio projects. We realize that your paver patio is one of the single largest investments in your landscape project. For that reason UNIQUE has spent years developing our signature installation techniques in order to out-perform our competitors. Our customers are placing their trust in the UNIQUE Companies and we will only provide the highest quality product in return. All of our patios begin with a solid sub-base. This sub-base is the “footer” of the patio and creates the base on which the entire patio is constructed. This sub-base is also the support system which will ensure that your patio looks amazing for many years to come. Some of the cheaper installation techniques involve installing patios without this “sub-base”. This process allows other installers to beat our prices but they are sacrificing quality and longevity to offer that cheaper initial investment. Think long term about your home and your outdoor living space. Making an investment in quality products and installation processes is always the best choice. Be certain that you understand the differences in patio installation techniques and also understand that you get what you pay for. There is no cheaper method which will provide you with long term quality results.
ALL PATIOS ARE NOT THE SAME OR CREATED EQUAL- BUT ALL UNIQUE PATIOS ARE CREATED TO EXACTING STANDARDS BY EXPEREINCED CRAFTSMEN. UNIQUE PATIOS WILL STAND THE TEST OF TIME!
Our Travertine paver & Belgard /Pavestone paver patios are installed over a 4 – 6” compacted ABC sub-base. This sub-base is made of inorganic engineered soil and compacted to 95% a compaction rate. This process is achieved using a plate compactor and the proper water and soil mixture. For driveways, UNIQUE uses the addition of Portland cement, which creates extra stabilization where tires exert additional weight and wear to the surface. After the paver sub-base is compacted, our skilled masons install only ½” of sand. This ensures that the Travertine pavers or concrete pavers lay perfectly level, and maintain proper drainage away from the pool, house or any other structures. After laying the pavers most UNIQUE patios are then sanded with polymeric “stabilized” joint sand. This is the final, but very critical step to provide proper stabilization and longevity of the sanded grout.
UNIQUE’S Flagstone patios are always installed over existing concrete or over a 3” concrete sub-base, not just compacted ABC. This ensures that a UNIQUE patio is installed to last a lifetime. After we install our flagstone patio sub-base, our flagstone setters are trained to meticulously diamond cut each and every edge of the flagstone and piece it together so that there is never more than ½” of a grout joint between any pieces. This intricate process creates one of the most spectacular Phoenix flagstone patios that our clients have ever seen and we proudly guarantee our work and the stunning result.
The “UNIQUE” difference – After many years of perfecting our products, we have created the best methods and processes to construct many of our popular items. This attention to detail is what sets us apart from our competition.
• Proper sub-base – Not all patios are equal, but every UNIQUE patio is installed over the required and recommended sub-base. Being an engineer, Chris Griffin has in-depth knowledge of the critical nature of a proper sub-base for any structure or surface. Be certain that you are fully aware of the manufacturer’s recommended installation methods and that your installer meets or exceeds all of the standard practices. There are many ways to reduce the cost of a paver patio installation in Phoenix, but each of them results in compromising the integrity of the patio. UNIQUE will never compromise the quality of our products but other companies are willing to sacrifice your long term satisfaction to sign a deal and make a quick profit. Invest in quality products and a quality installation company who stands behind their product.
• Flagstone – UNIQUE guarantees that our flagstone patios provide one of the highest quality finished products in the valley. The UNIQUE full-time flagstone crew brings years of experience and knowledge to each project. Installing flagstone is all that these craftsmen do and they focus on each minute detail to ensure that each cut, each joint and each patio is a work of art. UNIQUE installs our Phoenix flagstone patios over 3” of concrete minimum and uses bonding adhesives to make sure that all of our patios are less prone to cracking and shifting than any other company in the valley. We take every extra step to ensure that you are completely satisfied with your flagstone the day the project is completed and every day after as well. There is no substitute for quality workmanship.
• The Belgard Paver Guarantee – As we have noted, not all patios are created equally. And that sentiment carries over to pavers as well. Not all paver products provide the same level of quality and durability. In the past, UNIQUE tried some of the cheaper alternatives and had many issues with warranty and customer service from those manufacturers. Belgard pavers, one of the nation’s largest paver manufacturers, provides a 5-year guarantee on labor AND material for all of UNIQUE’S paver installations. No other company provides that long or all-inclusive a warranty on paver projects. Saving a few pennies per square foot is not worth passing up a full warranty and a superior product.
• DRAINAGE – Our patios are guaranteed to drain properly and that is all that most of our customers really want to know. But UNIQUE believes that every customer should understand the potential issues which can arise from improper drainage on their patio or throughout their property. Your patio is just a small part of the overall drainage of your property. UNIQUE takes the time to evaluate the overall drainage plan of your property prior to beginning any project. Chris Griffins degree in engineering allows him to effectively evaluate your property and create a complete plan to maintain positive drainage throughout the property as new features are added to your property. Other companies will find a way to channel water to a part of the property that does not impact their work but might have serious implications for you or your neighbors. Selecting UNIQUE provides you with the “added value” of an engineering background as well as a commitment to the big picture. Your landscape and pool project is seen as a single project with all features and aspects interdependent on one another. There will be continuity and seamless transition visually as well as professionally. You will never need to worry about which contractor to speak to when addressing questions or concerns. UNIQUE is your single outdoor contractor who will meet and exceed all of your expectations for professionalism and quality throughout your project and the lifetime of your outdoor living space.