Winter may give pool owners a bit of relief when it comes to swimming pool maintenance, but that doesn’t mean that pool cleaning should be completely forgotten. Some of our clients may opt to hire a pool service company to perform their pool maintenance. By learning to do it yourself, you can save hundreds of dollars per year. The following information will help keep your pool water healthy and clear year round.
POOL MAINTENANCE CHEAT SHEET
Twice A Week
- Use a water testing kit to check and maintain pH levels at 7.2 –7.6.
- Monitor and maintain chlorine levels at 1.0 – 3.0 ppm.
- Empty skimmer baskets, skim leaves, insects and other debris from pool source.
- Empty debris canister (if applicable) This will contain large debris from main drain circulation.
- Check schedules (make sure all schedules & settings are as desired) If applicable-Check salt cell lights (4 green lights) and Ozone light (1 green light)
Once a Month
Take a water sample to your local pool retailer, for a complete water analysis. Be sure to test these levels:
- Calcium hardness
- Clean your cartridge filter with a cleaner to remove any oils and grease that may have accumulated in your filter. (NOTE:During monsoon season, you will need to clean your filter more frequently)
- Adjusts schedules for pump / circulation / *** times appropriately for the season.
- Clean salt cell (if applicable)
- Always seek the advice of a pool professional, your local pool retailer, regarding any special or unusual problems.