Landscape & Pool Designer
Chris Griffin has always been driven to reach his fullest potential at everything that he does. In high school he was a stand out in both academics and athletics and earned a full athletic scholarship to the University of New Mexico. While earning his degree in Civil engineering, Chris continued to be a leader on the football team and became Team Captain his senior year. His leadership qualities, hard work and athletic accolades paid off when he was drafted in the 6th round by the New England Patriots. Once again he became part of the elite as only 2% of NCAA football players go on to play in the NFL. He completed the 1996-1997 season as a tight end and fullback for the Jacksonville Jaguars.
In 1998, Chris returned to New Mexico to open his first landscape company which rapidly grew from just 2 employees to more than 50. And in 2001 he recognized the potential of the growing market in Phoenix and moved to the area to form what is now one of the top 3 landscape and pool companies in the state according to AZ Business Magazine.
Chris is quick to convey that his continued success in the industry is rooted in his hands on approach to the business. He has personally performed each task involved in the services that his company offers. “I’ve built barbecues, laid flagstone, installed electrical, fixed irrigation systems, paid bills, filed papers, and fixed computers – virtually every aspect of what I expect from my staff. Now, I love being able to manage my company, and take on fun and challenging projects.” His understanding of what it takes to perform each role in the business has provided Chris with a unique ability to manage his company using a balance of hands on experience and superior leadership skills. His years of experience balancing sports and academics have taught him to become a master of time management, multi-tasking and delegation to insure that he and his team always achieve success.
In addition to balancing the demands of running a thriving landscape and pool business, Chris has found a way to balance his work responsibilities with his greatest passion, his family. He can often be found at football practice where he coaches his sons’ teams or with his daughter’s soccer team where he films their games. Time with his daughters is also spent swimming, camping, playing video games, reading or simply enjoying that special father daughter time. Chris also incorporates giving back to the community as a family activity by participating & chairing the annual Walk to Cure Arthritis @ the Phoenix Zoo to raise funds for the battle against juvenile arthritis, which is a cause near to his heart. His leadership of this event has brought him national recognition. And he has led the top fundraising team four years in a row. Chris’s continued commitment to meeting the needs of his family, his company and his clients is evident when you review his accomplishments and ongoing education.
- Certified and Registered Genesis Watershape Designer–1 of only 40 globally (Genesis is the only third party education and certification program for the pool industry and it is recognized across the globe.) He holds the following certifications:
- Advanced Fluid Engineering
- Elements of Design
- The Language of Organic Architecture
- Basic Perspective Drawing
- Color Theory and Its Application
- Basic Pool Construction
- EIT – Engineer in Training Accreditation (a certification received after earning a Civil Engineering degree at UNM by passing the EIT exam for new engineers)
- Qualifying Party for 3 Arizona Registrar of Contractor Licenses (Obtaining a license as the QP requires in-depth knowledge of the subject matter and the ability to pass the rigorous written examination given by the Registrar of Contractors.)
- General Contractor
- Landscape Contractor
- Pool Contractor
- International Concrete and Paver Institute Certification
- PACE – Paramount Advisory Committee (a group of like-minded pool & spa professionals from across the US/world who meet annually to discuss the state of the pool business, new trends, technological advances, and better business practices)
- Arthritis Foundation
- Board of Directors – Arizona Chapter
- Walk to Cure Arthritis Corporate Chair – 2016, 2017 & 2018
- Honored for Top Fundraiser & exceeding Walk to Cure Arthritis Goals – 2015, 2016, 2017
- Member of the Fiesta Bowl Committee 2016-2017
Chris is often called on to apply his expertise in design and engineering to large pool and landscape projects. But he also takes great pride in each and every project completed by Unique. “I love seeing all the things we do! I love helping my designers come up with cool new ideas, then I use my talents to help make sure that it is engineered properly, built properly, and that it lasts.” That love of design and desire to create is why Chris will take on some design appointments projects personally.
Matson Project (view) – The Matson Project was a pretty sweet project,” Chris Griffin said, as he reminiscences about how his company—Unique Landscapes & Custom Pools—transformed an Anthem backyard into the spectacular outdoor spa and entertainment complex pictured here. Water, fire and glass were the dominating themes of this makeover.
Metoyer Project (view) – Complete resort overhaul, front & backyard, pool/spa, huge ramada with gourmet outdoor kitchen, range, sink, granite tops, TV, bbq, etc. Pavers, travertine, desert landscaping, and an amazing lighting system. The Pentair Screenlogic system, intelliCHEM system, and Bullfrog Jet Paks make this amazing pool something extraordinary.
Benefiel Project (view) – Incredible front & backyard in South Phoenix that contains an architectural pool & spa, sunken pergola, swim up bar, fireplace, fountains & more! This feature project has been used in many Unique Ads.
Swagerty Project (view) – Incredible Ahwatukee backyard remodel project that transformed an outdated backyard into a spectacular showcase. Chris used all his construction skills to deal with many challenges to complete this project! It features some amazing views from the travertine patios, waterfeatures, fireplace, pergola & many other features.
Wallace Project (view) – One of Chris’s first pool projects many years back, this project still looks incredible. This negative edge pool & marbella tile backyard required all of Unique’s skills to pull off. Today, its’ one of Unique’s feature projects.